Greasley Parish Council which was formed in 1894 and is one of the largest parishes in Nottinghamshire. It encompasses the villages of Giltbrook, Greasley, Moorgreen, Newthorpe and Watnall.
The Parish is justifiably proud of its rural heritage, a countryside connection it is constantly striving to maintain. Nonetheless the Council is a modern, forward looking authority which today maintains a children's play area - at Beauvale in Newthorpe - as well as two informal recreation parks - at Greenhills Road, Newthorpe and again at Beauvale in Newthorpe.
In addition the Council maintains two dozen allotment plots for the benefit of the parishioners at a site off Main Street, Newthorpe.
Pride of place in the Council's services is the provision of the Greasley Parish Council's services is the provision of the Greasley Sports & Community Centre. In the 1980's the decision was taken to enlarge the existing Parish Hall on Dovecote Road, Newthorpe into a truly multi purpose centre for all types of sporting and leisure activity. Duly on 16th March 1985 the Greasley Youth & Community Centre incorporating the Barber Sports Hall was opened by the then MP Jim Lester.
The Centre flourished and 10 years later, on 8th July 1995, a new extension - the Lifestyles Fitness Suite - was officially opened by the then Mayor of Broxtowe Cllr Tom Martin.
As a key partner in planning matters the Council is a consultee on all developments within the parish and in recent times has sought to protect the interests of parishioners in major commercial and residential proposals centred on Greasley. It is a role it takes very seriously as it does a whole raft of other measures to protect open areas and increase parishioners enjoyment of the parish's beautiful natural assets.